Saturday, January 30, 2010

"The girl on page 194"

So, on the elliptical this past week I was reading Glamour magazine. I have no idea what issue I was reading but the editor's page was referring to all the comments she has received on "the girl on page 194." They included a picture and immediately I was interested!

Apparently in the September issue of Glamour magazine, they began a story on feeling comfortable in your skin and posted a small 3 inch square picture of Lizzi Miller.

Lizzi isn't a celebrity, or a supermodel. She is just a 20 year-old model, sitting comfortably wearing just her underwear and a smile. So what's the big deal, right? The big deal is the photo shows a belly that looks...wait for it...normal.

0814-lizzie-miller_vg.jpg

With all the six-pack abs and flat bellies we see in the media, it is really easy for a woman to forget what a realistic stomach looks like!

Lizzi is a size 12-14, which is the average American female's size, believe it or not. Unfortunately, for the "modeling world" she is considered plus-size. (We all know the downfalls having a "modeling world" mentality can do to a girl. We've all heard, or even experienced, the horror stories.)

"When I was young I really struggled with my body and how it looked because I didn't understand why my friends were so effortlessly skinny," Lizzi told Glamour magazine. "As I got older I realized that everyone's body is different and not everyone is skinny naturally--me included! I learned to love my body for how it is, every curve of it. I used to be so self-conscious in a bikini because my stomach wasn't perfectly defined. But everyone has different body shapes! And it's not all about the physical! If you walk on the beach in your bikini with confidence and you feel sexy, people will see you that way too."

Here's a toast to the woman on page 194, and to the spectacular sexiness of owning who you are.

And kudos to Glamour magazine for posting this, realizing true beauty, and for committing to celebrate all body shapes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...