Thursday, March 18, 2010

"Gilding the Lily"

Tonight, after showering, moisturizing, finding something to wear, curling my hair, and playing with my new makeup, my Mawmaw comes into my room and just peaks her head in and says, "You're gilding the lily." Of course I immediately asked her, "What does that even mean?" and the response I got was, "Figure it out."

So, I googled it. :)


gild 1 (gld)
tr.v. gild·ed or gilt (glt), gild·ing, gilds
1. To cover with or as if with a thin layer of gold.
2. To give an often deceptively attractive or improved appearance to.
3. Archaic To smear with blood.


Idiom:
gild the lily
1. To adorn unnecessarily something already beautiful.
2. To make superfluous additions to what is already complete.


She is the absolute best. I love her so much. I'm so glad God decided to bless me with the sweetest Mawmaw in the world! It's nice to receive compliments every now and then. Especially ones that make your heart smile. :)


I just thought I'd share with you all what "gilding the lily" meant, in case you were like me and had no clue!  

1 comment:

Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...