Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Heaven Is For Real

So, I just got done reading Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent. I'm really bad at retelling stories, and the back of the book sold me on reading it anyways, so I'll let it tell you what the book's about:
When Colton Burpo made it through an emergency appendectomy, his family was overjoyed at his miraculous survival. What they weren’t expecting, though, was the story that emerged in the months that followed—a story as beautiful as it was extraordinary, detailing their little boy’s trip to heaven and back.

Colton, not yet four years old, told his parents he left his body during the surgery—and authenticated that claim by describing exactly what his parents were doing in another part of the hospital while he was being operated on. He talked of visiting heaven and relayed stories told him by people he met there whom he had never met in life, sharing events that happened even before he was born. He also astonished his parents with descriptions and obscure details about heaven that matched the Bible exactly, though he had not yet learned to read.

With disarming innocence and the plainspoken boldness of a child, Colton tells of meeting long-departed family members. He describes Jesus, the angels, how “really, really big” God is, and how much God loves us. Retold by his father, but using Colton’s uniquely simple words…Heaven is for Real will forever change the way you think of eternity, offering the chance to see, and believe, like a child.

I don't read for pleasure much but I've heard too many good things about this book for me to pass it up when I found it on Mawmaw's kitchen table.  I read it in two sittings but if given a little longer, and not have had started at 12:30 AM like I did during sitting #1, then I probably could have read the entire thing in one sitting. Thank God the boys being loud in the lobby went away so I could read in peace and quiet! :)

Seriously, this book didn't make me realize Heaven was real. But it just confirmed what I already knew & made me think of things I wouldn't have ever thought of. Like who I'd meet in Heaven, and what I'd learn.

One thing I was reminded of while reading it was that I, along with anyone else trying to get to Heaven, need faith like a child. I need to think of things matter-of-a-factly, without a shadow of a doubt, KNOWING all I've learned, read, and been taught. We all do!

We need faith without proof.
We need to believe without seeing!

This doesn't happen often, but tonight, while finishing this book, I really cried happy tears, just thinking, "This is so awesome!" I think if I had a child that had visited Heaven, I'd be jealous of that child because I'd want to know everything they know! I'd want to see everything they had seen! If I'd just be patient, one day, I'll get to experience Heaven myself. But until then, I wonder all kinds of things and anticipate the day when I can witness all the things I've heard or read about, as well as the surprises Heaven has to offer...because you know Heaven has surprises. :)

If you don't read this book, you are crazy.

The End. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...