Friday, April 6, 2012

Nicole got a body wave, I mean PERM...

So, this long blog post on haircare started like this: I got a hair cut.  It was an impulse hair cut, by a new hair stylist because I had the afternoon off and just had to get a haircut.  I need a shape to my growing-out hair and wanted it right now.  I am so darn impulsive, it's not even funny! I got a recommendation of a hair stylist from a friend, called, and got an appointment for 4:00. I was so happy! I will admit: I wanted something that probably wasn't possible.  My bangs are growing out. I don't like that tapered down the face look. I wanted a shape. I didn't want to cut too much off because I was growing my hair off. So, she did exactly what I asked her to do. She attempted to even out the growing out bangs but in the end, the front was a bit shorter than the back.  I didn't want to cut the back off because I want long hair more than I want a lot of things in life. I don't know if I was going to leave happy because my hair's just in that "in between" stage, and as you know, that phase sucks. But, she did exactly what I asked her to do, so, she did a good job in my eyes, whether I loved my hair or not.

Well, I had been wanting a body wave for a really really long time. I thought, "well, if I don't love my hair cut, now's the time to get that body wave I've been wanting so I can scrunch it when I want." Right? Right? Well, not so right...

I got a body wave perm and do. not. love. it. I think it has something to do with the fact that...
A) my hair must not have been 100% healthy to begin with, so I probably shouldn't have gotten one
B) some of the strands of hair won't scrunch as well- unfortunately it's the strands at the top of my head and around my face, so, you can see how this is upsetting
C) due to point B, I can't wear it down, and when I do, it's not pretty
D) it is much curlier than I wanted it to be, you know, on the strands that worked. I wanted a body wave, not straight up perm. {yes, I know body waves are considered a type of perm, but y'all know what I mean!}
E) it takes me longer to straighten my hair
F) I can't have my hair permanently straightened for another while. I'm currently trying to let my hair HEAL.

Went straight home & styled it myself with what products I had...Still was deciding my feelings
You can see in the picture above how curly it actually was. No wave here.. just straight up curls! Also, you see how my bangs are curly at the root and then not so curly at the ends? That's probably due to the fact that either the stuff wasn't left on the right amount of time OR my hair wasn't healthy enough to handle the chemicals and just fried.

Day 2 morning = why I was in a panic!





Day 2: Got to wear it half up already.. on my way to get products!


Thanks to my sweet friend Cassie, I learned a bit about styling curly hair. She has naturally super curly hair so knew what worked, what didn't work, everything. It was so nice to have her walk with me into Cosmo Prof and say "You need this!"   

She recommended the following:
Sebastian Professional Whipped Creme
I HIGHLY recommend this stuff if you have curly hair.  The can looks just like a whipped cream can, and the stuff looks just like whipped cream.  This is for you curly headed people who want to have defined curls without that crunchy look. This stuff saved my life.  I may or may not have used too much of the stuff. I bet it doesn't require as much as I used, but as you can tell from my statements above, I was desperate.  I ran out of the stuff within two weeks. {Don't judge me!}

It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product
Okay, so, the lady who did my hair used this stuff on my hair.  Then I saw she had some stuff for sale and I knew I needed some products.  I was debating between this and another thermal protectant.  Then I realized that this is a condition and a thermal protectant.... and repairs dry, damaged hair {need that!}, adds shine, smooths and controls frizz {gonna need that!}, stops hair breakage {need that!}, prevents split ends {need that!}, plus other things! She has this stuff for $12 and I thought "Not bad!" so I tried it, LOVED it, and have used half the bottle already. Again, I don't think your hair requires that much product, but I am desperate.  After I started mentioning it to people, I found out that this product is apparently the world's best kept secret. People use it for curly hair, straight hair, whatever! It's just a fabulous leave-in product that I will probably use for the rest of my life now. 

I also went to Wal-Mart to see what they had.  I bought the following:
VO5 Hot Oil Treatment
because an "intense conditioning treatment" sounded like something I needed. And it was less than $5.

Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Extra Penetrating Oil
Disclaimer: The stuff I have looks almost like the picture about, but the link is to the stuff I actually bought. I bought the "Extra" Penetrating Oil, for dry and course hair.  I don't naturally have dry or course hair, but I was in a panic, and knew that this body wave perm had fried my hair, and my thought process went a little something like this: "fried = dry." Anyways, I love this stuff! The website says it "penetrates, moisturizes, renews, and creates softness and strength while protecting your hair from harmful styling heat and UV damage, giving you smooth, sexy tresses." That it does! I personally wear it more when I'm wearing my hair curly, but this stuff is worth the $5ish it costs! The benefits sound like a lot of the benefits of the It's a 10 leave-in product, but it IS oil, so don't use too much! :-)

Organix Weightless Healing Oil
The website says "This exotic precious formula of Moroccan Argan Oil Weightless spray instantly heals split ends, creating soft frizz-free perfection while protecting your hair from harmful styling heat and UV damage, giving a smooth, glossy, shine." And that it does! I spray it on before I blow dry it, and when I'm done straightening my hair, I spray a bit in my hands, then swipe my hands through the hair to prevent frizz! And, again, I thought my hair could use some "healing oil."

Oh! AND...
Joico K-PAK Shampoo & Conditioner
I saw these huge bottles of Joico K-PAK shampoo and conditioner for $16.99 each and thought they were a God-send! I previously have used Joico's K-PAK Deep-Penetrating Reconstructor and LOVED it.  It's an extra conditioner to use, to leave it for 5-10 minutes, and then to have the most conditioned hair ever, that's apparently more "repaired" than before.  I love the stuff & can't decide if I was surprised or not to see that Kourtney Kardashian was talking about also loving the stuff! Anyways, the K-PAK line was introduced to me by my fabulous friend, Ashley, and it's for damaged hair! {Aka.. what you have after you get a body wave perm and probably wasn't supposed to.}  I went to Ulta and swiped up a trial size of the Deep-Penetrating Reconstructor when I saw it for $5. Unfortunately it was only 1.7 fl oz. but I may get 2 or 3 uses out of it, so that's a good thing! I definitely recommend it for a weekly mask for your hair. And I'm loving the shampoo and conditioner.  I don't think I would trust any other shampoo or conditioner on my hair at this point in time.

SO...

I went about a week without using ANY heat on my hair after I did this. And I survived!!! Now I only straighten my hair 2-3 times a week, as opposed to every. single. day, which is what I used to do. I really just want to let my hair breathe and heal. It and I are not BFFs right now. And I don't blame it for being mad at me.  :-/

15 comments:

  1. Saw your post when googling before/after body waves and straight away from your picture with the curlers KNEW something was wrong. They just gave you a real perm, body wave perm has BIG rollers to create wave not curl. You had tiny curlers on your head which was gonna create massive curl. So sorry for your bad experience :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Tragic. Who knew? Thanks though :)

      Delete
    2. Yes I thought the same thing when I saw that picture of you in the chair! After reading article after article since I am getting a body wave here soon I thought that does not look like the rollers the articles are talking about.. Im sorry this happened to you! But now we know if we see a stylist putting those kinds of rollers on you and your looking for a body wave...run!

      Delete
    3. As long as I educate the world, I feel better about it.

      Delete
  2. I think it looks really good - especially the picture in the car. You should keep it curly like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same thing happened to me today! So sad. Read not to wash it that it could look way worse if I did. She used similar sized curlers on me too. Certainly doesn't look like Jessica Simpson hair. Gonna go start moisturizing now. boo hoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it sounds crazy, but if you're able, find a way to use as less heat as possible. If you can air-dry your hair, do it. If you can put it up, do it. If your hair looks ridiculous after air-drying, find a cute way to put it up. Seriously, the less heat damage added to the already-done damage is best! And I'd suggest going in a month to get your split ends (that you will have a ton of) chopped off. I'd recommend doing it once a month until your hair isn't so damaged anymore. Hair is hair but hair is stressful, especially when it goes on your head, you can't hide it, and it's been destroyed. Best of luck to you!

      Delete
  4. Dang it I typed a long comment and it disappeared. Ok so I researched this before doing it and came across your blog and (no offense) I thought man I hope they don't do that to my hair that's NOT a body wave, well I went in today and showed her this blog. I then showed her what I wanted and she said "I can do that we will just use bigger rollers" well....sure she used ones a LITTLE bigger than yours, and I wouldn't mind so much if I had curls but no my hairs now falling out and looks like stringy clumpy zombie hair (you know, how they portray them on tv with the hair all dead)

    Obviously ulta salons don't train their employees properly. They ended up not charging me because well like I said it was literally falling out. Plus the bitch tried adding on 46$ for a cut and style on top of the 100$ perm but she not only didn't cut but surely didn't style. I walked out with wet hair and found out why when I got home- once dry, it was completely hard, I'm so upset, it took me months to grow up and I finally cut off all the dead and it was healthy again.

    I want to warn anyone that stumbles across this blog not to go to ulta ugh.

    And for the writer of the blog- was your falling out/breaking off? I want to know that maybe there is hope for it.....I own a wig if not. I never use heating products as it is, so I won't even now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I am so sorry that happened to you, even after you tried to avoid it!! It's really good that you don't use heat products. Definitely invest in some good products to help it heal. Salon quality only--- nothing from drugstores!! Yes, my hair was definitely broken... I had to get a trim like a week later, which made me SO mad because she cut it before she murdered it. She should have trimmed it AFTER so I have been told. My hair always falls out for the most part when shampooing and styling, so I don't think that it falls out more now...but it was definitely broken and needed frequent trims. It's just now growing out long enough to where the damaged is off....but I use heat a lot more now than I did then so that doesn't help. My hair naturally looks like a hot mess so I have to do SOMEthing with it. I've learned curling it with a curling iron looks better than straightening it. Something about the straight look shows the breakage more. Best of luck!! Let me know how it goes!!

      Delete
  5. So I realize that this post was from a long time ago but... something similar just happened to me. I don't know for sure but it looks like you may have white rods and maybe purple? I had white and purple and was thinking they were kind of small, but the girls in the salon all agreed that they were the right ones.The front of my hair (around my face, my bangs, etc.) are super, super curly. And just like you, I have areas where it's like my hair is straight. It seems it's more around the ends. If I use a diffuser (or any heat at all) it just turns into a big frizzy mess. I got a light gel cream that is supposed to be anti-frizz as well, and hoped letting it air dry with that would be okay. But I looked at it and it's still frizzy so I ended up putting it half of. Speaking of which, yours looked great in the picture of you sitting in the car.

    While it isn't what I expected, the places where I actually do have a curl are actually pretty. But I can't deal with the frizz, especially around my face. The sheepdog look just isn't cutting it for me. Off to find some of your recommended products!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I realize that this post was from a long time ago but... something similar just happened to me. I don't know for sure but it looks like you may have white rods and maybe purple? I had white and purple and was thinking they were kind of small, but the girls in the salon all agreed that they were the right ones.The front of my hair (around my face, my bangs, etc.) are super, super curly. And just like you, I have areas where it's like my hair is straight. It seems it's more around the ends. If I use a diffuser (or any heat at all) it just turns into a big frizzy mess. I got a light gel cream that is supposed to be anti-frizz as well, and hoped letting it air dry with that would be okay. But I looked at it and it's still frizzy so I ended up putting it half of. Speaking of which, yours looked great in the picture of you sitting in the car.

    While it isn't what I expected, the places where I actually do have a curl are actually pretty. But I can't deal with the frizz, especially around my face. The sheepdog look just isn't cutting it for me. Off to find some of your recommended products!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took me so long to reply to this, BUT... I hope my post helped you!! Another tip: Combing the curls out once they're the LEAST bit dry will make them frizzy. Comb right after shower & then style. Let me know how it went!!

      Delete
  7. Also dry whilst your hair is still quite wet, but not dripping. This will keep the curl pattern better.Plus shampooing straight after, doesn't allow enough time for the re-structured molecules inside your hair to set.Very light rinsing with water only tends to be better.This could also account for hair being part curly,part straight or just kinky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really amazing! I would love to see what it looks like before your style it? I’m interested in the whole perm thing due to also having straight hair – but it would be great to see the curliness of it before you style it? It will be great help!
    Body wave before and after

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...