Friday, May 18, 2012

30 Blogs in 30 Days: Day 3: My Relationship with my Parents

On Day 3 of 30 Blogs in 30 Days, I'm supposed to describe my relationship with my parents. This is a little awkward, because it's not something I talk to about to everyone.  Sometimes I'm personal on my blog, but I'm never super personal. My relationship with my parent(s) is a very personal issue to me. It's a unique relationship & not one that everyone can relate to. 


my mom:
I often tell my Mawmaw, who is like my mother, that my Mom annoys me.  Today she said something to me that I will never forget.  She said, "What if you had to go see your mom where I had to go see mine?" My grandmother frequently reminds me that there's nobody like your mother and you are only given one mother in your life. I need that reminder sometimes.

The truth is that I have learned a lot from my Mom. I've learned how to be a good friend, to put others first, to love unconditionally, and a number of things to apply to my life once I become a mother.  My mom's great. She puts up with more than she should and would give someone her last dime if it would benefit someone else. She's hilarious and fun to be around. A lot of things she does to make others laugh, she does unintentionally, which makes her even funnier. I love my mom and can't imagine my life without her. I'm grateful for all her sacrifices and attempts to help make me who I am today. 


"I know you were on my side, even when I was wrong
And I love you for giving me your eyes,
for staying back and watching me shine
And I didn't know if you knew,
so I'm taking this chance to say
that I had the best day, with you, today..."
-Taylor Swift


my dad:
Ahhh, "PD"... can't live with him, can't live without him. He's a character, that's for sure. He's the kind that doesn't try to be funny, but is, in a not-laughing-with-him kind of way. We have had our ups and downs, that's for sure. But what Mawmaw says about mothers also applies to fathers, and I think some time in the past three years or so, I have found forgiveness and unconditional love for my father. He raised me. When I realized how big of a Momma's boy my brother was going to be, I quickly learned me and Dad needed to be a team. He's done some pretty crappy things in the past, but I try to remind myself of all the good he's done. He's a super hard worker. He's a product of my grandfather's generation and [I know deep down] that he lives his life knowing right from wrong.  He has morals in surprising times and he has a huge heart. People often don't know that about him. He gets his feelings hurt and he would do anything for anyone. He's a country boy redneck, Rock-n-Roll loving man but the Lord loves him, as do I! 



"You don't choose your family.
They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."
-Desmond Tutu



*****

Stay tuned for Day 4: 10 Things I Would Tell My 16-year-old Self

Click to see my other blogs from 30 Blogs in 30 Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...